We are fans of the 1 hour ride, and it does not get any better than The Luge if you are looking for a quick outing. There is parking available in a section adjacent to Cook’s Corner, which is a great place to get something to eat after your ride. The ride begins on pavement by heading west on Santiago Canyon Rd. Consider this a nice warm up because the first and steepest climb will await you at approximately one mile. Head right and begin climbing Modjeska Grade rd. Once you reach the top, you will finally enter the Santiago Truck Trail where the dirt trail begins. In a few miles you will notice the Luge, which can be identified by a US flag that was placed there. Begin the descent, which is approximately 1 mile of semi-technical fun. Upon exiting, head right on Live Oak back to your car.
Distance: 7.58 mi
Avg Speed: 6.8 mph
Elevation Gain: 1,306 ft
Calories: 655 C
Avg Temperature: 71.8 °F
1. Exit Chapman off the 55 frwy and head East for 16.47 miles
2. Live Oak Canyon, turn left-drive past Cook’s Corner and park on left in field parking
1. Exit El Toro Road off the 5 Frwy/Interstate 5 and head Northeast 7 miles
2. Live Oak Canyon, turn Right-drive past Cook’s Corner and park on left in field parking
1. Exit Portola Pkwy and head South
2. El Toro Road, turn left 2.7 miles
3. Live Oak Canyon, turn Right-drive past Cook’s Corner and park on left in field parking
(hover over steps for images – some steps may not have images)
0.1- From parking area, head towards Santiago Canyon Rd and make a right at Cook’s Corner.
1.3- Right on Modjeska Grade road. This is the steepest and most prolonged climb of the loop and is paved. Use caution, 2 lane road and very narrow
1.8- Right onto Santiago Truck Trail.
5.0 – Head towards the flagpole and drop into the Luge. Or you can bypass this short climb and go around the mound to catch the Luge.
6.3- the trail will lead you left towards a wide road as it reaches Live Oak
6.5- right on Live Oak. This is a fast, straight descent down the street. Use caution as you make your way back to your car, street only 2 lanes and very narrow.